Weapons-related charges laid in connection with incident

By Rob Vogt, Local Press Writer
A Claresholm man has been charged with seven weapons-related offences in connection with an incident Friday night that saw RCMP close and evacuate sections of Eighth Street West for close to two hours.
Sergeant Jason Cann of the Claresholm RCMP said that initially, the Claresholm Fire Department responded to a vehicle fire on the property just west of Eighth Street and 51st Avenue on Friday night, May 21.
Personnel saw the fire by the out buildings on the property and approached the house to talk to the resident.
There, they saw what they believed to be a firearm, so they exited the property, took cover and notified the RCMP.
The RCMP immediately contacted their emergency response team, as well as back-up that arrived from the Nanton, Fort Macleod, and High River RCMP detachments.
The police, with assistance from fire department personnel, closed off sections of Eighth Street and adjacent alleys and evacuated a nearby apartment building if residents wished.
The Town of Claresholm also issued an announcement by social media, and through their Connect Automation Messaging asking “those that have been asked to evacuate the area located around 51st Avenue West and Eighth Street to register at the Town of Claresholm Administration Office located at 111, 55 Avenue West. Those who have not been asked to evacuate, but are within the area around Eighth Street and 51st Avenue West are asked to shelter in place. Stay in your home, stay away from windows. Please do not drive or walk anywhere in the immediate area.”
Shortly after the emergency response team arrived, the resident of the property was arrested without incident.
Paul King, of Claresholm, has been remanded into custody in Lethbridge and has been charged with seven weapons-related offences. He will be making his first court appearance in Fort Macleod Provincial Court on May 26.
Sergeant Cann expressed his appreciation to the public. “Thanks for their cooperation in what can be a stressful event,” he said. “It’s all in the interest of public safety.”