Under-18 Thunder blast Taber on Saturday night

By Rob Vogt
It was Hockey Night in Claresholm as the Claresholm Under-18 Thunder blew out Taber in Central Alberta Hockey League Tier-3 action.
The Thunder hosted Taber on Saturday night, Nov. 25, winning by a score of 9-5.
Claresholm took control early, jumping out to a 4-0 lead after the first period.
Scoring for the Thunder were Kaden Pothegadoo, assisted by Blake Cisar and Reid Schooley; Kaden Pothegadoo, assisted by Vann Woodman and Cody Thompkins; Schooley, assisted by Cisar; and Joey Van Rootselaar, assisted by Josh Gibson-Morrison and Schooley.
Taber finally got on the scoreboard midway through the second period before Kieran Pothegadoo scored, with an assist by Carson Ring.
Taber narrowed the gap to 5-2 before Claresholm exploded with two goals to close out the period with a 7-2 lead.
Scoring for the Thunder were Woodman, assisted by Clayton Van Langen; and Ring, assisted by Woodman and Schooley.
Ring made the score 8-2 midway through the third period, assisted by Woodman and Van Rootselaar, before Taber scored to close the gap 8-3.
Woodman responded with an unassisted goal before Taber closed out the period with two straight goals to make 9-5 the final score.
Goaltender Zackery Hann turned aside 20 shots to earn the win in net.
The Thunder hit the road on Sunday, Nov. 26, travelling to Brooks where they lost by a score of 7-3.
Brooks led 3-1 after the first period, but Claresholm scored the lone goals of the second period to tie the game at 3-3, before Brooks took control with four unanswered goals in the final 20 minutes.
Scoring for the Thunder were Gibson-Morrison on the power play; Schooley, assisted by Ring and Van Rootselaar; and Schooley, assisted by Woodman.
Goaltender Finn Buhmiller made 23 saves in net for the Thunder.

Clayton Van Langen, at left, of the Claresholm Under-18 Thunder, focuses on the puck as he goes around a Taber defender in Central Alberta Hockey League Tier-3 action on Saturday night, Nov. 25. Photo by Rob Vogt