Bantam Football Cobras blast Lethbridge Coyotes

By Rob Vogt
The Claresholm Cobras bantam football team got off to a great start in Southern Alberta Minor Football Association play last week.
The Cobras hosted the Lethbridge Coyotes on Thursday, Aug. 31, running away with a 37-6 victory.
It was the Cobra defence who started the scoring, as Jax DeJong tackled the Lethbridge ball carrier in their own end zone for a two-point safety touch.
That also meant Claresholm received the ball.
Quarterback Briggs Baker promptly moved the Cobras down the field, connecting with Braydon Baird on a pass and run touchdown and an 8-0 lead.
Easton Wright then added a two-point convert to run the score to 10-0 for Claresholm.
The Cobras were in business again later in the quarter. A botched Lethbridge snap on a third-down punt attempt gave Claresholm the ball on the Coyote 39-yard line.
This time Baker kept the ball and ran it in for a touchdown, upping the Cobra lead to 16-0, and that’s how it stood after 15 minutes of play.
Part way through the second quarter, the Cobra defence struck again.
After pinning the Coyotes behind their own one-yard line, the Cobra defence knocked the ball loose in the Lethbridge end zone. Wright pounced on it for another touchdown and a 22-0 lead.
The teams then went into the halftime intermission with that same 22-0 score.
The Coyotes inched closer to Claresholm in the third quarter, capitalizing on a Cobra turn over, turning it into a touchdown, and cutting the Claresholm lead to 22-6.
Once more the Cobra defence got the ball back for their offence with great field position.
This time, Josh Penner recovered a fumble on the Coyote 19-yard line.
Baker wasted no time, running the ball in for another touchdown and a 28-6 lead.
He kept the ball again for the two-point convert, making the score 30-6 after three quarters.
The Cobra defence then set up the lone touchdown of the fourth quarter, as Carter Friesen intercepted a Coyote pass and took it to the Lethbridge 36-yard line.
This time DeJong ran the ball in for a touchdown, increasing Claresholm’s lead to 36-6.
Baird then kicked the point after to make the score 37-6.
There would be no further scoring, as the game ended with that 37-6 win for the Cobras.
The peewee Cobras also played Thursday night, dropping a tough decision to Magrath.

Braydon Baird, at left, of the Claresholm Cobras bantam football team blows past this Lethbridge defender in the Cobras’ home opener at the Willow Creek Composite High School field on Thursday, Aug. 31. Photo by Rob Vogt